CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Race Schedule 2016

  • Jan 24-29 Team iTz Camp: Sanibel Island , FL
  • Mar 10-13 Timex Team Camp: Tucson, Arizona
  • Apr 17 King Tut Oly: Dallas, Texas
  • Aug 13 USAT Sprint Nationals: Omaha, Nebraska
  • Sept 11-18 ITU World Chicago AG Sprint: Cozumel, Mexico

Tuesday

All Systems Go

I read a quote the other day about Wisdom. It said "Wisdom does not come from age, it comes from education and learning". I like this for several reasons, but particularly because I don't feel like I'm old =) This really resonated with me as I have been reflecting back over my years of learning. First, being a young runner instructed by my Father. Next pursuing a degree in Sports Medicine from Brigham Young University, then working for Performance Physical Therapy, next initiating my own competitive spirit back into competition, then finally assisting well over 100 athletes in their athletic endeavors. Actually, it doesn't end there. Beyond that, I have been able to work under World Renowned Coaches ie. Brett Sutton and gain additional insight and expand my methodologies. And there is yet another new coaching philosophy, I just ordered the book on Amazon. Any ideas on what book will drop into my mail box later this week? Looking more locally, Team Timex prides itself in not only having incredible athletes, but top coaches and professionals in the field. Not only have I advised many teammates, I have seeked advice from others as well. It is an incredible resource for me.

As I continue to still compete, I am a coach that feels it is of great importance to physically take my body where I ask my athletes to take theirs.  Each one of my athletes know that. For example, I may not compete in Ironman, but I have done every single workout I prescribe to them.

That moves me into the discussion of athlete development. One of my favorite discussions I have with my clients!!  But for now, we are going to discuss me. Before I entered Multisport, I was a runner, then a Mountain Biker. Both in which I raced a fair amount in. I am now in my 11th season as a Triathlete. My! Where does the time go?? There has been so much learning, change and adaptation over the last decade. (Which in my book, equates to Wisdom) Regarding injury, I have learned by trial and error where those boundaries are. I am much smarter now when my body talks to me, I listen to avoid setbacks and injury, to change my training to provide appropriate stimulus. My nutrition and fueling have changed. I learned quickly what foods makes me feel better with multiple sessions in a day or after a big quality brick. I have had many years for trial and error and over time have dialed into this. My eating and what I cook for my family has changed immensely over the decade. Not because of fads, trends or textbooks; but because of how I feel and recover.

This year I have implemented a few new things. Some have worked, others not so well. The first was a goal weight of 114. Nope! That didn't work. I brought a whole new meaning to the term "couch potato". 117 still continues to be my ideal race weight. Solid bike power, light enough to run fast and a tank full of energy. Next was making a shift in my carbs to protein ratio. Nope! That didn't work either. As I have entered my early 40's, I have had to make some slight modifications to my diet to maintain a good weight for me, but too much protein and I felt heavy and lethargic in training. Now, I knew this was a very strong possibility.. But, I know first hand now =) Another was an emphasis on strength. Can there be too much of a good thing? ABSOLUTELY! Strength played an integral roll in my base and initial builds at the beginning of the season. My running legs were rediscovered from 2009 pre injury. WAHOO! BUT! Staying on that same trajectory hasn't served me well at this point in the season. With the intensity continuing to build in my quality workouts; strength at that level pretty much brought all systems to a hault. I stopped hitting run paces, recovery continued to slow down, general fatigue increased to significant levels, weight was climbing to levels I hadn't seen in over a year and I was not recovered for key workouts. I do appreciate the few watchful eyes that were seeing red flags sooner than I was able to admit and see myself. I can not emphasize how important it is to encircle yourself with people who are invested in you on a daily basis and are aware of your well being as an athlete. I, as a coach, am invested in each one of my lads and lasses. The outside perspective is huge and one that I can never have for myself ;)

Two weeks ago today, I physically, emotionally and mentally was in a place I have never been. I pulled the plug early on the last 5 days of my build and went into recovery. Recovery was not in any hurry to find me!! I would take about every other day off and do something very light and short between. Having to rest every 200 meters at the lake while swimming turtle pace scared me, honestly. Having to be picked up after 34 min on the bike, scared me too. Running a 9:30 pace and having my HR close to max, of course made me walk and take a good look at reality, especially with my A race (Age Group Nationals) 5 weeks away. The question of the day... Everyday; am I over reached or over trained. Only time would tell.

Last Friday, I was still struggling with high heart rates. I took another very restful weekend. Yesterday, I managed an easy slow run and HR is stabilizing. Strength was a very quick session, functional and dynamic and then I hit the lake in the evening. YES! By the end of the swim, I was feeling like my groove is back and I was swimming better paces!

To answer my question above, I overreached. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and getting my body back on track. Weight has continued to drop back to normal as my body heals. It feels so good to have it back and happy. Today feels like a day in a normal recovery week instead of a big dark hole. Will I be race ready for August 10th? I really have no idea. I will be able to race, I just don't know what all this down time is going to do to my speed. I will know come race day and guess what?! I'll be that much wiser. I am hoping by the weekend I'll be ready for some intensity; that will be 3 weeks since I pulled the plug. I am grateful I am getting there and all systems will be go!

0 comments: